We're excited to share with you some of our latest consumer insights from an AOL proprietary research study - this time it's all about Moms! (and for purposes of this study, we give them the capital M they deserve!)
Moms are consuming and sharing content online at exciting rates. Did you know that Moms are online every day and spend nearly 1 ½ hours each day with content?* And, did you know at AOL, over 73% of our Moms are sharing online content every month?** Knowing what busy lives Moms lead, this is a considerable amount of time for them to spend with digital content.
So, what content are Moms sharing and consuming online?
As marketers and publishers, we tend to have a very traditional view of Moms. Armed with this traditional view, there is a tendency to think that the content that matters most to Moms is primarily parenting content.
At AOL, we know that she is more than a mother. Moms play many roles in their lives, in addition to the role of parent. We felt that by learning more about their needs and motivations - both as Moms and as Women – it would lead us to a deeper understanding of the online content they value. And it would be this understanding that, in turn, would help AOL and our advertising partners program SMARTER for Moms.
What we uncovered through our research was truly exciting. We learned there are 7 distinct archetypes of Moms online. All of them have unique personalities, priorities, passion areas, and most importantly, content needs.
After months of researching and analyzing, here is the list we have compiled of the 7 Mom Archetypes online:
1. Social Expressionista: Community-oriented, this Mom relies heavily on her social networks to express her views, fuel her creativity, and share her latest projects.
2. Alpha Trendsetter: The "IT" Mom all the other Moms look up to. She is a fashion trendsetter, a leader, and an influencer. But, this Mom understands she can always be better so she looks to educate herself with the latest information on everything.
3. Shopsessive: She may be a bit of a know-it-all but she actively shares and spreads her expert knowledge with everyone around her. This Mom is tapped into ALL the latest products.
4. Business-wired: Classic and sophisticated, she balances her life as a businesswoman and a Mom. She's online for work and to stay connected to home. She goes offline when she is with her family.
5. Mom-centric: Being a Mom means everything to her. She strives to be the best Mom she can be. Everything she does, she does with her kids in mind.
6. Intelligentle: Simple, practical and informed describes this Mom best. Actively contributes to bettering the environment for her & her family.
7. Spiritual Provider: She takes pride in providing for her family. She is a traditional and spiritual Mom. Sometimes she's so focused on being a good provider, she forgets about herself.
I had the great pleasure of unveiling the 7 Mom Archetypes and their unique digital content needs at the 8th
annual Marketing to Moms Conference this week in Chicago, IL. AOL was proud to be a speaker and an associate sponsor of this year's event. In addition to outlining the 7 Mom Archetypes, we offered marketers three key strategies that they can execute in order to deliver content that is more meaningfully suited to each of these Moms. You can download the presentation here.
We took our rich learning around Moms' content needs and applied it not only to our programming approach within our Women's Lifestyle brands - such as StyleList and Homesessive - but also to our advertising solutions.
We are proud to announce that we have a brand new advanced targeting advertising solution - the first of its kind at AOL. This targeting solution goes beyond demographic targeting and enables advertisers to target these unique and distinct 7 Mom Archetypes based on their psychographic mindsets.
AOL has been connecting with Women and Moms throughout our 27-year history. This history is built upon a rich foundation of insights and a deep desire for learning more about our consumers.
In 2011, we partnered with Bovitz Inc.
to conduct a quantitative and qualitative research study of Women. In this study, we surveyed over 6,000 Women online and followed up with a portion of them through a series of in-depth interviews. Following the success of the Women's segmentation, we further mined this robust research to extract the most relevant and compelling insights around Moms.
We hope that this unique learning will benefit our advertisers as well as the 45 million Moms* that visit our AOL brands each month.
To download this study in PDF form, click here
. To learn more about AOL's Advertising products and solutions, visit http://advertising.aol.com/
*Source: comScore Inc., Q3 2012
**Source: AOL Women's Segment A&U Survey, August 2011