At AOL, we're in the business of helping people and making a difference is a core part of our DNA. Today, we have an exciting new chapter to add to our long history of giving back, the launch of the AOL Charitable Foundation focused on improving the lives of women, girls and underserved youth.
Building on AOL's longstanding commitment to strengthening communities and promoting diversity and inclusion, the Foundation will provide its first grants to support the work of four nonprofit organizations focused on fostering young women's leadership, empowerment and access through education and technology across the U.S. We're proud to share that these organizations include:
· The New York City Foundation for Computer Science Education
- to support a professional development program for teachers through the New York City Department of Education
· The New York Academy of Sciences -
to support the 1,000 Girls - 1,000 Futures Program to provide a pipeline of women professionals in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
· Girls Who Code
- to support the 2015 Summer Immersion Program that pairs girls interested in computer science education with intensive instruction, in Computer Science exploring topics including robotics, web design, and mobile development with engaging, career-focused mentorship
· Step Up
- to support their College & Career Connections Conferences and National Mentorship Days in NYC, Chicago, and LA, in - - An effort to propel girls from under-resourced communities to fulfill their potential by empowering them to become confident, college-bound, career-focused, and ready to join the next generation of professional women.
Since the beginning of AOL, we've been rallying our talent and tech behind causes that matter most to us, from mentoring young coders to providing free media space for some of the world's most important causes. Over the past 5 years, AOLers across the globe have volunteered over 50,000 hours in local communities for Monster Help Day and we've donated over 70B impressions of premium internet real estate to non-profits.
The foundation is an exciting extension of the work we're already doing as a company to unleash a better world and empower future leaders in the area of technology and education.