Over 180 pieces of content were judged by a panel from the worlds of academia, media, marketing, content creation and social networks divided the crowd-sourced favorites into Top Fives across five genres: Sex, Humor, Fame, News and Lifestyle. The panel of judges then decided upon a top five in each category, crowning one overall winner.
top scoring content in each category, and overall, is as follows:
- Miley Cyrus' fusion of nudity and shock in the 'Wrecking Ball' video, tops off a year of increasingly sex-fuelled music videos, and puts her at the pinnacle of the sex category, and overall
- For news, The Guardian's 'NSA Snowden Files' scored highest, leading impactful news sharing online
- A home-production YouTuber, MrEpicMann, takes the top spot in humor with 'How animals eat their food'
- Number one in the fame category is another home-generated piece of content, 'Pope Selfie', taken by @FabioMRagona
- In lifestyle, Dove's 'Real Beauty Sketches' achieved the top grade
Whether fun or serious, the impact of the year's top content is clear: between them, the Scoreboard's Top 25 generated more than 1,113,100,000 views and 5,787,600 shares across social media.
Statistics, celebrity or monetary investment alone, however, did not guarantee impact in the mind of the public or top scores from our judges.
It was a combination of a hot title or headline, surprise and intimacy that our judges revealed as the keys to success.