Apr 28th 2016
When nominations for the 20th Annual Webby Awards honoring the best of the Web were announced by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, and AOL racked up four nominations and three honorees, we were excited to be recognized for bringing to life some of the year's best content and experiences.
And now we're thrilled to congratulate MapQuest on their big win in the Social: Humor category for #AvoidTrump. The MapQuest team built the #AvoidTrump map to provide tips on how to "be Trump" or "flee him" in cities across the country. MapQuest was nominated alongside Funny or Die, Conan O'Brien and The Onion in this category.
Congrats to all of the AOL nominees! To check MapQuest out, you can download their app, or follow them on Twitter.
Jun 11th 2014
MLB "Key to the City" Video Series
The original video series, "Key to the City," features new, original custom content for MapQuest's community of travelers and baseball lovers. Upright Citizens Brigade comedian and MLB super fan, Matt Fisher, hosts the new "Key to the City" video series with a unique, 5-minute episode on what to do on game days in big baseball towns. From iconic tourism attractions to local hangouts to hidden gems, the "Key to the City" series highlights the heart of each city with an itinerary best experienced with the industry-first, seamless MapQuest integration.
Feature cities include:
- Denver: Today, June 10, home to the Colorado Rockies
- New York City: New York Yankees on Monday, June 16, 2014
- Los Angeles: Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday, June 24, 2014
- Chicago: Chicago Cubs on Monday, June 30, 2014
- Washington, DC: Washington Nationals, Summer 2014
- Boston: Boston Red Sox, Summer 2014
MLB Stadium Guides
The new "Key to the City" video series complement MapQuest's original baseball stadium Gameday guides, expert editorial created by seasoned journalists who know MLB stadiums and cities inside-and-out. Each of the 30 team-specific Stadium Guides features six chapters:
- Welcome to the Stadium: History and key information
- Before the Game: Get to know the best offerings near the stadiums
- Inside the Stadium: From gluten-free fare to exclusive micro-brews
- Game on a Budget: When to buy, where to sit and the deals inside
- Best Bets for Families: Make a child's first-visit memorable or get tips on the best experiences for families
- After the Game: From celebrating to drowning game-day sorrows, these places are worth the stop
The new content comes on the heels of the MLB.com and MapQuest partnership to deliver MapQuest-powered mapping and directions through an exclusive app-to-app experience within the "MLB.com At the Ballpark" smartphone app, as well as integrated into MLB.com and all 30 MLB team websites. As part of the official partnership, MapQuest created custom-branded MLB team experiences, available within its iOS and Android apps, and developed original MLB content to enhance local experiences.
Feb 28th 2013
With that in mind, we're excited to announce today the launch of MapQuest Travel Blogs, and a new iPhone app that allows travelers to easily capture the memories and routes taken on all of their trips. With just a few easy clicks, users can now collect all of their photos, reviews and stories to create a digital memory of their journey.
Features of the app include:
- On and off-line usage for travelers without cell service or those journeying out of the country beyond their mobile coverage; the mobile blog can be sync'd with the web once a user is back online
- Privacy settings to allow users to share their blogs on their own terms via social channels or through an individually curated distribution list
- Those that opt to have their content stay public will be featured in the MapQuest Discover content feed and may be featured across AOL's digital network
- Coming soon: the option to have your blog printed into a beautiful photo book
Travel Blogs is not just a tool to help users document their recent day trip up the coast or two week cross-country excursion. As part of our library of over 24,000 blogs from Everlater, now part of the MapQuest family, our goal is to help give people valuable and authentic stories that inspire them to set out on their own adventure.
Thinking of planning a trip? Check out some of our favorite blogs so far, Maui in One Week, Culinary Adventures Around the World, East Africa with Amsterdam En Route and Runways and Rails, for ideas and tips on where to set your next course. Happy Travels!
Nov 13th 2012
Right now, MapQuest Discover has the following features with more to come:
- Collections: allows users to create and share their favorite places ("favorite bars" or "cool hikes"), trips they've taken, or their travel bucket list. Collections has a leaderboard that shows who's been to the most places in that collection, encouraging some good-natured bragging.
- Newsfeed: an infinite scroll of interesting places, popular collections and professional travel guides aimed to inspire. Users can quickly Like a place, mark that they have Been to a place, or add a place to one of their own Collections. Popular collections are influenced by user's favorites and are featured higher in the newsfeed.
- Passport: serves as a user's profile page and shows all the places they've been, collections created and more.
- Travel Content: access hundreds of travel guides written by travel experts and inspiring articles about top travel destinations to help make planning even easier.
For 16 years, MapQuest has played a big role in helping people navigate the world. Now with MapQuest Discover, MapQuest is not only getting users where they want to go with directions and planning, but also inspiring them to go there in the first place.
To explore MapQuest Discover for yourself check it out here!