On December 8th, we asked the public to vote on which moment among our "11 Days that Shaped 2011" had the most impact on the past year. Thousands of voters chimed in on 11in2011.aol.com, and today we are revealing that the death of Osama bin Laden was chosen by AOL readers as the day that most shaped 2011.
News of the terror leader's death broke on Twitter and sparked over 12.4 million tweets per hour, highlighting the increasing importance of social media and its relationship to traditional news coverage. At
Additionally, we asked our readers to tell us which major events in 2011 we missed, knowing that narrowing down the list to 11 items may spark some friendly debate. The most discussed topics on 11in2011.aol.com, in chronological order, include:
· Tornadoes Rip Through Southern States, Leave Dozens Dead
· Casey Anthony Acquitted
· U.S. Launches Last Shuttle into Space
· Shooting at Norway Youth Camp Leaves 89 Dead
· Amanda Knox's Murder Conviction Overturned in Italian Court
· Jerry Sandusky Engulfs Penn State in Major Scandal
· The End of the Iraq War
Undoubtedly, 2011 was a year driven by some of the biggest news stories we've seen in decades. Thanks to all of those who voted and weighed in!