Today, AOL is headquartered at 770 Broadway, an iconic structure stretching across 9th Street, from 4th Avenue to Broadway, above the original Wanamaker Department store, one of the greatest brands in the history of retail. It is in this spirit that our portfolio of premium ads, The Wanamaker Place Project, recognizes the legacy of John Wanamaker and his ability to provide real value to his customers while dazzling them with an exceptional experience.
The Wanamaker Place Project is our ad innovation platform and architecture, which encompasses our portfolio of ad products spanning rich media, native ads, mobile and multi-screen units. It is a comprehensive way of organizing and bringing our rich media and ad format innovation to market.
Like fashion and retail, advertising is about what's hot and what works. It's about being ahead of trends. It's about merchandising and branding as well as price and inventory. It's a global business built on pace, positioning and product. AOL's heritage, similar to John Wanamaker, is about the pursuit of innovation in the name of great customer experiences.
Our intention to beautify the Web via content and advertising began three years ago with the launch of Project Devil. It was then that we re-imagined what the web could look like. Today, we are launching a new set of premium ad products designed to further the potential, the impact, the nature and the beauty of advertising. They include:
- Loft – This AOL original unit anchors itself to the top of the page as the user scrolls down, giving brands a unique and persistent presence. Built in HTML5 to create a uniform experience across desktop and tablet, the banner spawns out of traditional banner and anchors itself to the top of the page as the user scrolls down the page, creating an unobtrusive encouragement for users to interact with brand content. Users can expand the anchored banner to reveal rich functionality like mapping, videos and coupon downloads while staying on the page content.
- Reactive Wallpaper – An exclusive offering that gives advertisers the ability to host subsequent, in-view brand messaging in the rails as a user scrolls down the page. Advertisers can also leverage additional assets and showcase video in a lightbox – so the user can watch without leaving the page.
- Multi Screen/HTML5 – Pictela's new multi-screen applications travel seamlessly across desktop, tablet and mobile – essential to reaching a growing multi-screen audience.
- Native – Through a guided process that relies heavily on analytics and experience, our team of editors and designers helps brands to craft seamless content that resonates with consumers, increases brand visibility and drives the social conversation.
- IAB Mobile Rising Stars – AOL is one of the first mobile publishers to offer this variety of IAB rising star and innovative mobile formats - including Filmstrip, Pull, Adhesion and Full Page Flex plus an innovation of our own, Mobile Footnote – at scale across AOL's Mobile Web properties
The Wanamaker Place Project is a nod to the past with an eye on the fast-moving present and a belief in the future of premium and performance driving experiences made possible through content and advertising.