MAKERS, the first-of-its-kind multi-platform initiative from AOL, becomes a global platform today -- joining the ranks of The Huffington Post, TechCrunch and Engadget. MAKERS China, in partnership with Yang Lan, a broadcast journalist and founder of Sun Media Group – one of China's leading private media companies – highlights and celebrates ten trailblazing Chinese women. MAKERS aims to be the largest collection of women's stories ever assembled, and through this launch provides an opportunity for the brand to create new MAKERS stories while reaching hundreds of millions of new viewers.
Yang Lan first approached AOL about bringing MAKERS into her country, and now serves as the Executive Producer for MAKERS China. Responsible for helping select and produce all content, she worked closely with a diverse and accomplished board of advisors to select each MAKER. The stories of the ten Chinese MAKERS will be distributed on Her Village, Yang Lan's online destination for women. Next month, translations of these stories will be featured on MAKERS.com and MAKERS.cn.
Watch the story of the first global MAKER, Yang Lan today at http://www.MAKERS.com/China.
The Chinese MAKERS include:
- Fu Ying: the serving vice Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China and the first female spokesperson in the history of the National People's Congress of China (NPC)
- Li Yinhe: an acclaimed female sociologist in China, she is a well-known sexologist and an activist for LGBT rights
- GuoJianmeib: the founder of mainland China's first public interest institution to offer legal support and service to underprivileged women
- Dong Mingzhu: a powerful female entrepreneur of the Chinese manufacturing industry
- Gong Li: the first Chinese actress to become widely known to the western public
- Laura Cha Shih May-lung: the first woman deputy chair of the China Stock Exchange and the first person outside of mainland China to join the central government of China at the vice-ministerial rank
- Hu-Shuli: well-known and distinguished Chinese financial journalist and business owner in the media industry
- Yang Liping: celebrated dancer and choreographer, she revived and modernized ethnic dance, and also brought Chinese dance to western culture
- Yan Geling: regarded as a groundbreaking and influential Chinese writer and playwright in the world's literary landscape
- Li Yan: well-accomplished athlete and coach, she won the first-ever medal on short track speed skating for China at the 1992 Olympics and is the most decorated Chinese coach in a single Olympic game